Sunday 27 December 2009

Agiorgitiko Boutari 2006

The chance sent me to Greece this Christmas and I had the chance to taste a real Greek wine of a variety I have never heard before: Agiorgitiko from the Nemea, Peloponnese region. Mantinia Winery,

I do not have a lot of experience with Greek wines, but after drinking this one (which is actually an ordinary one, not very expensive) I am definitely a fan from now on. The wine had a rich, aromatic smell and very sweet taste of fruits and vanilla. It went very well with the lovely dinner in the taverna. The colour was deep red, but the bottle was encrypted only in Greek letters, so I had a real difficulty in reading the name of the wine.

I became curious about the winery Boutari, so I looked it up in Google. On the company website http://www.boutari.gr, I found that it is actually one of the biggest wine companies in Greece with a history of more than 130 years and over 40 labels and several wineries in Greece and South of France. It has won numerous awards throughout the years and I will definitely try some other labels too.


Share

No comments:

Post a Comment